A 7-year-old boy presented to the emergency department after he had ingested magnetic buckyballs. He had not vomited and had no pain in his abdomen. A physical examination was unremarkable. A radiograph of the abdomen confirmed a snake-shaped foreign body in the left upper quadrant (Figure 1A,B). Ingestions of magnets are commonly reported in children 5 to 10 years of age (1). Ingested magnets that warrant immediate endoscopic removal from the stomach lead to magnet-related injuries by their powerful attractive forces (2). Asymptomatic children who have ingested the single magnet may be observed without intervention to allow the foreign body to pass spontaneously (3,4). When 2 or more magnets have been ingested, prompt evaluation, imaging, and consultation with gastroenterology colleagues are warranted (5). In this patient, radiographs of the stomach revealed the large number of buckyballs. The patient was taken to the operating room to undergo rigid endoscopy, and the “Magnetic snake subsonic” made up of 140 buckyballs was removed (Figure 1C,D). Reinspection of the stomach showed minor abrasions of the gastric mucosa. After the procedure, the patient recovered well and was discharged home.
Funding: This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (31600134).
Conflicts of Interest: Both authors have completed the ICMJE uniform disclosure form (available at http://dx.doi.org/10.21037/amj.2020.03.01). The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Ethical Statement: The authors are accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved. All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee(s) and with the Helsinki Declaration (as revised in 2013). Written informed consent was obtained from the patient for publication of this “Images in Clinical Medicine”.
Open Access Statement: This is an Open Access article distributed in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0), which permits the non-commercial replication and distribution of the article with the strict proviso that no changes or edits are made and the original work is properly cited (including links to both the formal publication through the relevant DOI and the license). See: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.
- Kramer RE, Lerner DG, Lin T, et al. Management of ingested foreign bodies in children: a clinical report of the NASPGHAN Endoscopy Committee. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 2015;60:562-74. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Brown JC, Otjen JP, Drugas GT. Too attractive: the growing problem of magnet ingestions in children. Pediatr Emerg Care 2013;29:1170-4. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Otjen JP, Rohrmann CA Jr, Iyer RS. Imaging pediatric magnet ingestion with surgical-pathological correlation. Pediatr Radiol 2013;43:851-9. [Crossref] [PubMed]
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Gastrointestinal injuries from magnet ingestion in children--United States, 2003-2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2006;55:1296-300. [PubMed]
- Silverman JA, Brown JC, Willis MM, et al. Increase in pediatric magnet-related foreign bodies requiring emergency care. Ann Emerg Med 2013;62:604-8.e1. [Crossref] [PubMed]
Cite this article as: Zhu WX, Liu W. Magnetic snakes subsonic. AME Med J 2020;5:44.